Sunday, April 13, 2008

I still have a lot to learn about being lazy


"I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like."  Emile Henry Gauvreay

I'm reading this book called Doing Nothing by Tom Lutz. He mentioned this group called CLAWS, an acronym for Creating Livable Alternatives to Wage Slavery, and a website called WhyWork.org. These are my people! However I am finding out that the founders of these amazing movements have moved on to other things. They were onto this quite a few years before me! I want to get in touch with them! And I also found out how much more research and reading I need/want to do on the history and evolution of the leisure lifestyle. On the whywork.org site, they have a ton of interesting-looking books that I will be reading soon. 

How do I put all this together into something I can design to help you take more leisure time? I struggle with the continuity between the line I quoted above and wanting to make things for people to buy. It's tricky. I'm well aware that there may be a conflict there. I am very open to feedback on this. 

Here is a paint-by-number project I did the other afternoon. I got it at MOMA. I'm thinking of making paint-by-number projects as part of Leisure Society's products. 

No comments: