Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Great Outdoors




If anyone is reading this, sorry I haven't written in so long. September was a long, hard month for me. I was not very leisurely. I forgot what that meant for the month. I started to worry a lot about what I am doing with my life. I tend to do that a lot...worry about stuff instead of doing it. One great thing that came out of it, though, was that I learned how important and healing Nature is for me. I could feel the need to be among the trees, far away from concrete sidewalks and the noise of construction and neighbors.

I escaped Brooklyn twice in September - once I went to West Cornwall, CT to my dad and step-mom's house. They live on a big hill surrounded by woods. One day I sat in the front yard on a lawn chair and watched the wind blow through the trees for a few hours. I also did a few crossword puzzles. That's all.

Another weekend, Matt and I went camping near Bear Mountain, upstate a little in NY. That was lovely. We cooked and ate our meals outside. We slept in a tent. One day we hiked to the top of Bear Mountain. That was kind of hard, but we did it! It was quiet in the woods. We were on a part of the Appalachian Trail. It got pretty cold at night.

I felt more like myself again after I spent those few days in the great outdoors. It was like pressing the reset button in my brain. I forgot all my petty cares. I am trying not to think so much about what I am doing with my life, and just live it.

Leisure Society the company is slowly coming together. I have a new idea that feels more "me", and I hope to get the ball rolling next week. I am planning to make a few different shapes/sizes of throw pillows using these vintage fabrics I have been collecting. I am also thinking of doing some hand embroidery on them myself to give them a bit more surface interest and humor. I really like the idea of the embroidery because it is very leisurely, in a Jane Austen sort of way.

No comments: