Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Greece, part I


I am going to need to think about how to tell everything about our trip to Greece. We saw and did so much! It may require its own website. I saw this new project in Budget Travel magazine where you can make your own travel journal online. So I might do that, and you will have to visit another website to read about it if you are interested. Supposedly you can put a lot more photos in that travel journal. On this, you can only put one photo per post. This, by the way, is the Parthenon.

In terms of Leisure Society, the effect Greece had on me was profound. Travel is still my #1 leisure activity, especially when it involves spending time on the beaches of the world which comes in at a very close 2nd. The art I saw inspired me tremendously, from the architecture to the statues to the frescoes to the pattern-work. I walked around in awe most of the time. I learned a few Greek phrases before I went and used them a lot. So now I want to continue my study of Greek, in addition to Italian. Studying/learning is another "leisure" activity that is very important to me. I call it leisure only because it doesn't involve going to a job and working.

Almost all of the other trips I have taken to Europe have been for work, and all I did was shop, except for once when I was in Florence on a Sunday and all the shops were closed. I know, poor me, right!? Also, we could only spend about 1-3 days in each place, so I never got to really see anything. It was really heart-breaking for me at the time. But this time, I got to see whatever I wanted. I saw ancient temples, bathhouses, marketplaces, cities, mountains, islands, tiny villages, beaches, lots of stray dogs and kitties, tavernas, churches, and blue, blue water.

I can't stress how important I think it is that we experience other cities/states, countries, cultures, languages. And not on TV! I think it makes us smarter, more interesting people to see these things firsthand, and not take someone else's word for it. Leisure Society is not about sitting around on your butt watching TV. It's about owning your life, being independent, and using your brain to learn about the world and make decisions. This is why I never want to work full-time for a corporate company again, because these things are not encouraged in that world.

Phew! Sorry to get all heavy on you there. Time to get back to work! I am on the verge of getting the first prototype samples made of my home accessories collection. I am having the fabric printed in PA right now, and I am going to use a sample-room in NYC to get the items sewn. How exciting!! The first collection is going to be for an outdoor dinner party, and may include placemats, napkins, aprons, outdoor pillows, and a picnic blanket.

No comments: