Saturday, June 21, 2008

Inspiration


For the past 10 years I said I hated art. But I guess that's not true. The truth is that I am so intimidated by art and artists that it's easier to write it all off. I never considered myself an artist. My high school art teacher told me I wasn't very good at it and I believed it.

But this year, I have rediscovered my own personal love of art, the love that led me to express my creativity through fashion. This love fell by the wayside in the rush of the corporate cycle of shop, draw, make, sell, repeat. When I worked in fashion, I only looked at fashion magazines or for inspiration. I didn't really have time or the brain space to look at much else.

Now that I have my own company, I try to look at lots of different things for creative inspiration: things that are important and interesting to me and only me. You know, I forgot what that was! It's amazing. Right now I have 2 inspirational loves. The first one is Olafur Eliasson. I went to see his show at MOMA 2 weeks ago, and it blew my mind. It sort of went along with a whole theme of mine lately: to really LOOK at things, situations, etc. The yellow light that washed all the color out of everything was my favorite. I had bright blue shorts and orange shoes on, so it was really fun to watch my colors change from room to room. Today, Matt and I are going to see his show at PS1.

The other inspirational love is this Sundance documentary on Marc Jacobs that I just watched this morning. Wow. The man really is a genius. I'm in this phase right now where artists and "real" fashion designers are so fascinating to me because they experiment, they tinker, they think, they play. I really want to do this too! It's their process and way of thinking that is so inspirational to me.

So this is what I am doing with Leisure Society. I want to dream, play, experiment. I am trying to approach it like an art project rather than a "business" at this point in time. It'll be ready when it's ready.

No comments: