Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I am a Greek Goddess

I am the Ancient Greek God:
Hestia


You are the god: Hestia

Hestia is the Goddess of hearth (more widely as cooking), and family. A hearth is a fireplace used in cooking and/or heating and symbolizes how a family centers around for food and warmth. Furthermore, public hearths broadened Hestia�s importance with extended families that were not directly of the same blood. Hestia is one of the three Great Goddesses, but gave up her seat to maintain the sacred fire on Mount Olympus. She was considered as the first and last born by Rhea and Chronus. This is because after the initially birth, Hestia (as with other primary Gods) were swallowed-up again by Chronus, only to reborn later. Although she is known to be passive and non-confrontational, she was important due to her association to the home and the hearth, which are both essential to man.

Hestia is known for the health and the home.


So I took this Greek God quiz at the website www.hitgreece.com and it turns out I am the goddess Hestia. Who knew? This is a great website if you want to learn Greek. I downloaded a bunch of their podcasts before I went to Greece and I could speak pretty well when I got there! People were happy and impressed that I knew a little bit of their language. Most people spoke English, but I think it's important to show some respect when you go to another country and learn a bit about the language and culture before you go. Stay tuned for more about my amazing, life-changing trip!!

No comments: