Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Today I work


It has come to that time in the development of Leisure Society, LLC (the company as opposed to the blog) that I am going to have to get off my butt and do some good old-fashioned designer work. Update for those of you I don't talk to on a daily basis: I got 2 yards of each fabric I designed so I can get samples made up. This fabric is kind of pricey though. I've been struggling with costs lately, not wanting my finished products to be too expensive. The fabric has been printed digitally, and this technology is still new and therefore, more money. These people make life really easy for me though. They supply the fabric, print it, and ship it to my doorstep.

In an attempt to see if I can get costs lower, I have gotten in touch with a screen printer here in Brooklyn. I am going to go visit his work room today. If I go with a screen printer such as this, I have to provide the base fabric. That means that I get to play designer today and hit the fabric stores in Manhattan. In an ode to Project Runway, I will visit Mood first. I have to admit that I don't think I have ever been there! Ssshh, don't tell my other designer friends. I have a short list of other places to see as well. Then, last but not least, I must get zippers for the pillows I plan to make.

As some of you may or may not know, I am designing a little collection of Home Accessories, including but not limited to: pillows, aprons, napkins, placemats, oven mitts, pot holders, and book totes. The first collection is going to be about hosting a fabulous outdoor dinner party or BBQ or what-have-you. Who knows what's gonna happen? I have to try this though. I have to try to make a job for myself so I never have to go back to "work" again. Know what I mean?

All my anti-work talk boils down to wanting to be in charge of my own time. With Leisure Society, if I want to work I do and if not, I go to the beach. I'm figuring it all out as I go along here. That's fine with me. I'm free.

No comments: